June 18, 2015

Evolution of a Dining Room

I've been meaning to talk about my dining room for awhile now, but to be honest, I'm a little embarrassed to share photos of my own house. I look at home/decor blogs all the time, and one of my favorite things is when I see the blogger's own house, yet I hesitate to share my own. I'm admittedly wary of putting myself out there and I'm not sure how tough-skinned I am! It's also a little embarrassing when so many of the houses I look at it look so good! However, part of what I really want to share on this blog is my love for decor (I love decorating even more than I love fashion) and to do that, I know I need to share my own house. So here goes!

I am in the middle of trying to find fabrics for the family room ( I shared how I'm changing to blue as my accent color in this post) but what I didn't share in that post is all the other things I am trying to do in the rest of my house. One of them is updating the dining room. I have been searching for dining room chairs for a few years now. And when I say years, no, it was not every day, or even every week. I would search for awhile, and then get busy and drop it. Or start working a ton and not have time. Or get discouraged because the resources for antiques are pretty slim here in Southern California (I wanted vintage, not new). But I found some this week! I can't tell you how excited I was to find a set of six vintage chairs! The dealer said they were French, however, they look slightly Swedish to me. Either way, I'm happy. I've been wanting a chippy/distressed white chair to go with my dark wood table as I like the contrast.

Here is the "before"




Excuse the mess as this was one year when I was putting out Christmas and using the dining table as a holding place and it was the only photo I could find of the room. You can see the dark tan/gold paint (walls are now Muslin by BM, that was done a couple of years ago). Also, notice the swags are gone. I was not into them anymore so I just removed them. I plan on replacing the side panels with cream linen, hopefully soon. And I changed the old way-too-small chandelier at the same time that we re-painted. But back to the chairs! What I had was old, hand-me-downs that were Mid-Century Modern. Soooo not me!! I can't believe I had them as long as I did, but at least they are finally gone! I know it has a way to go, but I think the room looks so much better.








I still need to get the table re-finished as it's in pretty bad shape (it's vintage and has several water rings on top). And I'm thinking of switching the buffet and the china cabinet and seeing if I like that better. I know that painting is too small for that wall, but I like it and it might just work better on the other side. And of course, the carpet has to go, but for now I feel so much lighter and brighter, like I went on a diet (only better!)

Sheila
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know your thoughts in the comments below! You can also find me on Instagram and chat with me on Facebook. As always, thank you for stopping by - I so appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...