July 21, 2015

Lantern Love

I know others have blogged about the virtues of antique outdoor lanterns before, but I just have to weigh in. I first fell in love with them in this kitchen when it was featured in a magazine a few years back. I didn't even realize that they were originally French outdoor lanterns, I just knew that I loved them.





I absolutely adore the kitchen, and the lanterns just take it over the top. Here is a close-up of the lantern.



Does it get any more gorgeous than this?!


They are so beautiful, and they add such depth to a room. They can literally change a room from ho-hum to truly gorgeous. They are especially great in pairs in a kitchen, usually over an island. But they work in a dining room, family room, entry way.... really anywhere you want to add some character.

Beautiful here used in pairs in the kitchen



Here Joni Webb used one in her family room


Again, the charming pair over a kitchen island


Used here in an entry way, it is truly the focal point of the room



I love the black lantern against the brick walls

This breakfast room is an old favorite! Love the greens of the antique lantern which tie in with the room




And here Donna Temple Brown uses one in her non-traditional kitchen

Another great lantern used in a non-traditional kitchen!

Of course, the antique ones are quite pricey, but since they are so trendy now, you can find reproduction oversized lanterns that do the job for a pretty decent price. Here are a few I found online:
















The Pottery Barn lantern is a great buy as it is huge, but it was actually too big for my space. Shades of Light is actually a great source, and I loved the galvanized one above but the size wasn't quite right for my room. I ended up going with the Ballard Design's one. It gives a great look, and for the size, you really can't beat the price.





Previously I had no overhead in this room (just the recessed lighting) and I think it really helped pull the room together. Not only does it add some greatly needed charm and character, but it ties in the black table that is in the room as well. So glad I finally bit the bullet and ordered it!

Sheila
xo

SharethisPost

2 comments :

  1. Well I love all of these lanterns! The one I wrote about this week I liked because it didn't have glass - we have one lantern by Pierre Deux (remember them?) and the thing gets dusty (not good for someone who isn't a fan of dusting!). Love the ones in the first pic the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the ones in the first pic are gorgeous because they are French antiques (I love them the best too!) I've been very happy with the Ballard one I got though, especially for the price!

      Sheila
      xo

      Delete

I'd love to know your thoughts in the comments below! You can also find me on Instagram and chat with me on Facebook. As always, thank you for stopping by - I so appreciate it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...