January 7, 2016

2016 - I Resolve to...






I have to admit that I have never been very big on New Year's Resolutions. Oh, maybe I did some here and there in high school, and I know I had some career goals in my early 20's, but since becoming a parent, I don't think I've made any resolutions of any kind. When I realized this recently, I couldn't quite believe it! Frankly, I was shocked. I never realized how much I had put myself; my self improvement, my inner feelings and thoughts, my goals and desires, on hold. Literally, all of my focus and energy went into my children. So, that was part of the reason I had never made resolutions. But I think the other reason is that the whole "resolution" thing seemed to always fall short. It's such a pass/fail kind of thing, that if I didn't achieve them by year's end, I felt kind of deflated and it discouraged me from trying it again. Cut to 2016. I have had such an epiphany this year. I do think it's important to set some goals for the year ahead. It doesn't have to be long, it doesn't have to be perfect, or have a certain number to it. As long as you make an attempt to make a list of goals, I think it helps to focus on what you want to improve. That is what bothers me most about those lost years when I never wrote a goal at all. There are always things to improve, and by not even setting some basic goals for myself, I missed out on the chance to improve my life, for myself and for my family.

So, I am now a firm believer in New Year's Resolutions, or as I'm going to call them, New Year's Goals. A goal doesn't seem as much about passing or failing, but more about improving, so that even if something is not accomplished completely, I can feel good about making some progress. With that in mind, I sat down and tried to condense what was originally a very long list into something that would be concise and hopefully, achievable. And I hope to do this every year from now on. To not only take stock of the year that has just passed, but also to focus on at least a few things that I want to accomplish in the year to come.





NEW YEAR'S GOALS 2016


Join a gym 
Cook one new thing every week
Read 10 books this year
Take one day a week with no technology at all
Print out and organize all digital photos
Write in blog at least 3 times/week
Take a photography class
Work on time management
Buy and flip a house
Work on my procrastinating and do things ahead of time!
Wake up feeling positive everyday
Pray more
Finish house project list (this is like it's own list of goals all on it's own!)


How about you? Do you make a list of resolutions or goals for the New Year?

Sheila
xo

SharethisPost

6 comments :

  1. Great list Sheila - wow flip a house! That has always appealed to me for some reason. It just sounds like a lot of fun! I am a big list maker so I pretty much keep a running list of goals, although at the beginning of the year I like to make a more official list to see what I can accomplish in the year. Good luck with your plans! Have a great weekend!
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, flipping a house has been a goal for a couple of years now. Hopefully 2016 is the year!!

      Thanks Shelley!

      Sheila
      xo

      Delete
  2. Sheila,
    I used to do just what you described, set a list of resolutions the were usually completely off my radar by March. The idea of goals seems more doable and my thinking is that if I don't 100% meet the goal, I can acknowledge the attempt and add it (or not) back on the list for the following year.
    I really like your list and may have to borrow a couple of your ideas...especially the photography class idea.
    It will be fun to read your progress throughout the year. :-)
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more Karen! But now that I've declared these publicly, I'm a little beholden (I hope!) to making them a success! And I will definitely post some progress reports...

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Sheila
      xo

      Delete
  3. Hi, Sheila -
    Just found your blog :) Okay, that's one of my goals for 2016: visit new (to me) blogs. Yes, I like the idea of setting goals rather than making resolutions. And I share some of yours: take a photography class, join a gym, and take a day without technology. The last one is most difficult!
    Cheers,
    L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by Loi! I have some ideas about how to go about the "technology" sabbatical that I will share on the blog later on - it's a tough one though!

      And that was one of my goals as well, to not only discover "new" blogs to me, but also to try and keep up more with the ones I already love! However, in the interest of keeping the list to a do-able number, I took that one off of the "official" list, though I will still try to do it.

      Sheila
      xo

      Delete

I'd love to know your thoughts in the comments below! You can also find me on Instagram and chat with me on Facebook. As always, thank you for stopping by - I so appreciate it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...