January 3, 2016

Thoughtful Sunday - Letting Go








My oldest son leaves tomorrow for Germany to do a semester abroad and I am feeling some of that ambivalence. Of course, I am thrilled for him and I know he will have the time of his life. But I can't help but worry some... I'm a mom, after all. However, I know how important it is to let him go; to let him spread his wings, even if that means he make mistakes, or gets hurt. It is that balance that will allow him to become a fully realized adult; to experience wonderful things and to find out about life all on his own. Sometimes the hardest thing we have to do as parents is to let go.

We had such a wonderful Christmas and New Year's this year with family, and I am treasuring those memories as I watch him go. And I will say a little prayer....

Hope your holidays were wonderful as well, and wishing you all the best in 2016!


Sheila
xo

SharethisPost

12 comments :

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks so much Mary Ann! You are so sweet!

      Sheila
      xo

      Delete
  2. I cannot imagine how much anxiety you must be feeling right now along with excitement too?!?! I will say a little prayer for you! Happy New Year!!!!!
    ~Des

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Des - Happy New Year to you as well!

      Sheila
      xo

      Delete
  3. I have the hardest time letting my kids go at every stage but I have to remember that it allows them to grow. Your son will appreciate you for giving him this experience! Cheers to the new year!
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so hard, isn't it? Thank God for wine!!:)

      Happy New Year!

      Sheila
      xo

      Delete
  4. Your blog is very impressive ...
    _______
    Emo Girl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheila,
    Letting go is something we think about all the time. We raised our sons to be happy, healthy, productive young men. They are, but it was difficult along the way to allow them the opportunity to expand their horizons. We moms are hardwired for worry! :-) Best to your son. My husband lived in Germany for 2 years and he loved it.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sheila,
    Letting go is something we think about all the time. We raised our sons to be happy, healthy, productive young men. They are, but it was difficult along the way to allow them the opportunity to expand their horizons. We moms are hardwired for worry! :-) Best to your son. My husband lived in Germany for 2 years and he loved it.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sheila I had no idea you had kids that old. I am not looking forward to this part. My son is a senior and I know those times are coming. Of course we want them to have all these experiences, but how to not worry to death. Sigh. I am sure you are a great mama and he will have an unforgettable adventure! Kim

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for sharing your ideas, i was looking for such article for many days...

    ___________
    tattoo thoughts

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know your thoughts in the comments below! You can also find me on Instagram and chat with me on Facebook. As always, thank you for stopping by - I so appreciate it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...