July 7, 2016

Friday Favorites - Neutral, with a Touch of Color

I was finding this week to be a rough one. One of those where I'm not sure why, but everyone seems out of sorts. The kids are bickering, my work is behind, the chores are piling up,  and the house is a mess (I guess that's why!) Anyway, I'm trying to focus on the positive today so I put some of my favorite flowers in a pretty pitcher, poured myself a glass of iced coffee and starting looking for design inspiration, both for myself and for a house I'm working on for a client. And just looking at these inspiring spaces makes me happy:) And since I've never shared my love for neutrals, I thought I would do just that. I've seen some truly beautiful pale colored rooms, but when I say they're pale, literally - everything in the entire room is white or off-white! I do love an all white, or creamy neutral room, but I think it's best with at least some color. It doesn't need a lot. But just a touch of color in some pillows or accessories makes such a difference. And definitely texture! Texture is so essential in a mostly neutral room to bring depth and add interest. These are the rooms that really make my heart skip a beat!



Just perfect! Neutral, but with texture from the layered rugs and the antiques, and color from both the chippy secretary and the beautiful wall hanging. Design by Brooke Giannetti,


I love that the chunky lamp is the only color. Minnie Peters Design.



Pam Pierce adds several soft shades of green and lavender, while never making it feel like it's anything other than a "neutral" room.




LOVE this corner of Miss Mustard Seed's gorgeous room! The painting adds all the color you need. Think how differently this would look with a painting that matched the neutrals; painted in greys and creams, it would melt away and never give the pop that the landscape painting does.


The pillows add the only color here. Love the greens! Sarah Richardson Design.



Carol Glasser Interiors.



This room is such a great mix! The trumeau mirror adds a soft green as do the patterned chairs, but the zebra rug really adds the pop. Love this! Design by Mia James.


This room by Emily of the blog Eleven Gables is so cute! The wicker chairs add texture, while the patterned curtains and that painting add some color. Yet the room is still "white" - just more interesting!


I've shown this room before, and for good reason. Here we can see that its white walls and taupe couches are the neutrals, but Eleanor Cummings mixed in soft grey curtains, patterned chairs and the painting, to add much needed pattern and texture.


Soft grey chairs and all that blue and white chinoiserie add charm to an otherwise white room. Via Architectural Digest, design by Carol Vaughan-Davis.


Via Veranda


By Decorator Thad Hayes.


Design by Joanna Gaines.






A definite favorite! Ashley Goforth Design.

Most of the color in this room is from the blue and white china in the cabinet but it adds so much more than if she had just used white dishes in there! Via House Beautiful.


A bedroom is an easy place to add just a bit of color. Here a touch of blue on the otherwise all white bedding does the trick.


One of my all-time favorite bedrooms by Brooke Giannetti. She adds interest with touches of soft gold and greens, but the all white walls and white bedding keep it a "neutral room."


Perfect touches of blue in the drapes and the headboard. Love this room! Via Houzz.


Hope you have an inspiring weekend!


Sheila
xo


Sharing this week at:



6 comments:

  1. I love the Pam Pierce sitting room. It looks so inviting, I could flop in one of those sofas and sit there for hours! It manages to look warm and cosy whilst also looking effortlessly cool and refreshing, love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I so agree! Isn't Pam Pierce the best?! I could move in today!!

      Thanks so much for stopping by - and for your sweet comments! I so appreciate your interest and support!

      Sheila
      xo

      Delete
  2. Sheila,
    These rooms seem the perfect blend of mostly neutral with just the right amount of color. I love every single example in your post!
    Happy Friday.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! I love them too - and so glad you agree!

      Have a great weekend!

      Sheila
      xo

      Delete
  3. All of these spaces are so spectacular, Sheila! I would add a shot of your beautiful home to the list too, though! You are a constant source of inspiration to me! 😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara,

      Thank you so much Sara! You are a constant source of inspiration to ME! And I am so touched by your support! So, SO glad you stopped by my friend!

      Sheila
      xo
      xo

      Delete

I'd love to know your thoughts in the comments below! You can also find me on Instagram and chat with me on Facebook. As always, thank you for stopping by - I so appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...